FRIENDS NEXT MEETING- FEBRUARY 17!
Join us on Thursday, the 17th, at 2:30 pm for the monthly Friends meeting. Doors open at 2 pm for sign-in and a social period.
Our speaker will be Emily Swett, a graduate student at the University of Nevada Las Vegas working towards a M.A. degree in Archaeology. Emily holds a B.A. degree in History from the University of Nevada Reno and has participated in archaeological projects in Ireland as well as the Southwestern United States. For the past few years, Emily has been focusing on Museum-Based Archaeological Research in Southern Nevada specifically regarding historic excavations prior to the damming of the Lower Colorado River.
We will discuss four sites excavated within the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, the Lost City, the Las Vegas Wash, Willow Beach, and Catclaw Cave (picture) and how collections housed in museums have helped to advance our understanding of life on the Colorado River prior to contact with Europeans in the 16th century.
Post Meeting Update
- Meeting call to order – 2:30 PM
- Review/approve January meeting minutes
- Museum Update
- Old Business
- Barnes & Noble book fair – April 30
- 8 mannequins received
- Bookmark/seeds gift for visiting students
- Black History month – table at Springs Preserve
- Trunk shelving installed
- Dues for 2022
- New Business
- Proposal to spend $500 on film digitization
- Proposal to spend $1,040 to help purchase storage for butterfly collections
- Pinot’s Palette painting – April 3
- Clothing drive – April 9
- Speaker: Ms. Emily Swett
- Museum tour with Sarah