THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19 Meeting concluded
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19 was the Friends October meeting. 32 people were in attendance. The items discussed in the meeting were:
- The September minutes were approved.
- Museum information
- The Education tam is focusing on field trips. 6,953 students have registered to date.
- A long-time employee, Maureen McDonough passed away.
- The Liberace exhibit will be extended to May.
- The Friends have a total of $48,249 on hand.
- We are actively pushing the giving Tree, which are small items requierd by the staff but not covered by the budget, Please help!
- The board approved $500 for the museum to build a “tactile” exhibit for the Liberace exhibition.
- The “Curator’s Night” has been postponed to January.
- Our 2023 online auction will run from November 3-17. Watch for upcoming announcements!
- The 32Club held their 4th anniversary party. A total of $5,919 was contributed to the Friends.
- The friends are hosting a “thank you” event for the 32Club at the museum on October 17 from 5-7 pm.
- The board approved installing a TV in the lobby to display both Friends and museum information.
- We will hold a book fair on December 9 at the Barnes & Noble on Rainbow.
- A motion was made and approved to set-up an annual fund of $1,500 for staff education and training.
- The speaker for the night was Garrett Wake from the Nevada Division of minerals. Garrett gave an excellent presentation covering two subjects: 1) the Nevada abandoned mine land program, and 2) the current state of mining in Nevada. We thank Garrett for a very informative discussion and for spending time talking with Friends members after the event
- The Abandoned Mines Land Program – what is the program, what does the Division of Minerals have to do with the AMLP, and why is the AMLP important to you!
- Nevada’s mining industry – what is it and what does it contribute to the State – economics and jobs.
Find out what you don’t know about Nevada’s mining program, past and present!