Friends members and guests met for the November general membership meeting on Thursday at the Museum at 2:30 pm. Our featured speaker was Maggie Bukowski, Curator of the library and documents/pictures. Maggie has been with the museum since January, and this was her first opportunity to speak with the Friends as a group. As many of you know, Maggie has opened the library to public use on Monday afternoons, something we haven’t seen in a while and greatly appreciate.
Maggie discussed with us the history of archives, what an archivist does, why archives are important, and what the Cahlan Research Library holds and provides to the public. Most of us know where the library is in the museum, but hadn’t spent much, if any, time in the library. Maggie gave a great presentation on the library, her job, and her activities. The success of her presentation was witnessed by the large number of questions from the membership. Thank you Maggie for a great presentation!!
Key items from the business activities for the meeting were:
- Approval of the October meeting minutes.
- Introduction of Josef Diaz as the new Curator of History and materials.
- Financial report: Checking account-$16,697; savings=$5,004.
- The new scanner for the library is on order and will hopefully be delivered by mid-December.
- We will hold 3 bookfairs at Barnes & Noble sites in December:
- December 3 at the Henderson site (567 N. Stephanie)
- December 10: Sites at 2191Rainbow and 8915 Charleston
- On December 4, we will hold a painting fund raiser at Pinot’s Palette in Boca Park.
- The Fall Silent Auction is underway and will finish at 5 pm on November 20. As of the meeting, we have raised about $2,500 from the auction.
- At the annual business meeting in January, we will be voting on one by-law change: changing the position of Media Coordinator to Community Outreach.
- A second call was made for officer nominations for the January election: Nominations to date:
- President-Jim Parish
- Vice-President- Donna Harper
- Treasurer-Kathi Thomason
- Secretary – no nomination
- Media Coordinator-Michael Fong
- Our speaker for the December meeting will be Nathan Harper, archaeologist at the Springs Preserve. Nathan will speak about the 50th anniversary of activities at the Preserve.
Friends members and guests meet for the November general membership meeting at the Museum at 2:30 pm. Doors open at 2 pm for sign-in and socialization! JOIN US to hear our featured speaker – Maggie Bukowski, Curator of the library and documents/pictures. Maggie has been with the museum just about a year and is anxious to speak with the Friends on activities within the library. As many of you know, Maggie has opened the library to public use on Monday afternoons, something we haven’t seen in a while.
Maggie will discuss with us about the history of archives, what an archivist does, why archives are important, and what the Cahlan Research Library holds. Most of us know where the library is in the museum, but probably haven’t spent much, if any, time in the library. This is your chance to learn about an important part of the museum and its function. It will be interesting. JOIN US!!