Post Meeting Update
The July meeting of the Friends of Nevada State Museum Las Vegas was held on Thursday, July 21 at the State Museum.
Our guest speaker for the event was Jessica Brooks from the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW). Jessica provided a great overview and discussion on owls and raptors of Southern Nevada. Her discussion was energetic, interesting, and full of fun facts about these birds. Those who were in attendance were entertained and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation. Thank you Jessica!
Other business items covered during the meeting were:
- The Museum’s Discovery Saturday program is proving increasingly popular. Over 200 people attended last week. Volunteers are still needed to help manage the group.
- The Traveling Trunk program has been rebranded as “Museum in a Box” to make it more easily understandable and recognizable.
- The library is open for public use on Friday and Monday afternoons.
- The Friends l cash on hand is $12,061.
- Zupas Dine Out generated $74.33
- Donation Tree generated $95. All items specified have been ordered and delivered.
- Dinosaur puppets have been ordered and delivered.
- Food Truck at Preserve has earned us $580 through July 8.
- The Board approved $139.39 to print 1000 Friends brochures
- The “Silent Auction” will be held November 12th-20th.
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW. This will be an online auction.
- Summer fundraising campaign
- An EMAIL/LETTER will go out in mid-August concerning our summer fundraising campaign (Aug 15-Sept 15). The letter will explain the campaign in detail.
- Our goal will be $10,000 to purchase an Image Access Wide TEK 25 scanner. The TEK25 has a scanning potential of 18×25 inches, and will handle all oversize items in the library. It is also a 3D scanner and can scan in collection items.
- The scanner is needed to scan large maps, posters, or documents. Most are in a very fragile, easily damaged state.
- Please be generous.
- The next meeting will be August 18 at 2:30 pm at the Museum
The speaker will be Rosa Prasser of the Southern Nevada Conservancy. Her topic will be the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area
OWLS AND RAPTORS – WHAT DO YOU NOW ABOUT THEM?
The next meeting of the Friends of Nevada State Museum Las Vegas will be held on Thursday, July 21 at 2:30 pm at the State Museum located on the Springs Preserve. Doors will open at 2 pm for sign in and a social period. ALL ARE WELCOME!!
Our guest speaker for the event will be Jessica Brooks from the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW). Jessica has spoken with us before and was always entertaining and interesting. Her subject this meeting will be “Owls & Raptors” – what qualifies a bird of prey, unique anatomy, birding techniques. Join us and learn everything you ever wanted to know about these animals.